Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Replacing fuse box with consumer unit

In article ,
Michael Chare writes:
There is a fault in the neutral of one of the cables going to my six way
fuse box. To find this fault I am likely to have to remove the fuse box
so that I can inspect the incoming cables and maybe replace one of them.

This makes me wonder whether I should replace the fuse box with a modern
consumer unit, probably 8 way.

Can anyone recommend a suitable unit. One of the problems that will
inevitably occur is that the house wiring cables will be to short. So
ideally I would like a unit that has all the terminals close to the
cable entry point would be a bonus.

I recently used one of the new Wylex all metal CU's, and was happy
with it (using all RCBO's - don't look at the split load version).
Amendment 3 version has metal hinged cover and metal fuseway banks.

This was a different solution many years ago to replacing my CU
where the wires were not long enough (just predated brown and blue).

http://www.cucumber.demon.co.uk/cu1.jpg
http://www.cucumber.demon.co.uk/cu2.jpg

BTW, that's an industrial CU which gives you bags of space inside,
although I don't think that MEM/Eaton range is manufactured anymore.
If you use those DIN rail screw terminals, I would suggest getting
one size bigger than the total crossectional area when more than one
conductor is going into a terminal, as they don't have any spare
space over the stated size.

--
Andrew Gabriel