Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default painting wood using oil-based paint

On Sunday, August 14, 2016 at 11:25:10 AM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Sunday, August 14, 2016 at 9:30:48 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
On Saturday, August 13, 2016 at 9:00:40 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Saturday, August 13, 2016 at 7:50:29 PM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
On Saturday, August 13, 2016 at 5:41:55 PM UTC-4, leza wang wrote:

1) Can I use Oil primer alone? Does that primer has color?

No and you only use primer on bare wood, which I don't think you
have. You'd use it on new wood or spots that have been scraped/sanded
bare, repaired, etc.

Absolutely not true.

Primer is required when you want to use Latex over Oil and that is just one example. Proper surface prep is a must, but you do *not* have to take the surface down to bare wood if you want to prime before painting.

Says who? Benjamin Moore has the instructions for their Arborcoat Solid
Stain, which is the product she's talking about. Not one word about the
need to prime when going over any existing product. They don't even call
for a primer for bare wood. If they thought it was a problem, it would be
called out in the instructions. I'll stick with their instructions.

I was responding to nothing more than these statements:

"...and you only use primer on bare wood"

and

"You'd use it on new wood or spots that have been scraped/sanded bare"

Sitting way out here on the ole interweb that certainly sounds like you are
discussing the use of primer in general, not related to any specific product.
Taken as written, they are not true.

How else could someone take "and you only use primer on bare wood"?

Look, I was not addressing every possible painting project, only hers
with the specifics given. She's painting wood siding that has oil
based product on it now. What I said is true for what she is doing.

Conveniently forgetting that you posted this:
Absolutely not true.

"Primer is required when you want to use Latex over Oil"

She's painting wood siding that has oil based product on it now.
Read the instructions for the BM product. IT says nothing about
requiring a primer when using it over existing product. If BM had
the requirement you claimed exists FOR HER PROJECT, then it's very
strange that it's not on the application instructions. Is BM so
stupid they can't tell people how to apply their own product
correctly?