Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

Default OT - generating electricity on a bicycle

"Fredxxx" wrote in message
There is no such thing as a DC motor.
I've told you before.

So what type of voltage do you apply to a "low voltage DC motor"?

It runs on AC.

I don't see any transformation of DC to AC I apply to my car starter
motor? In fact all I have is a 12V battery and a switch.

Will a motor that is designed to run on DC turn if you connect it to AC? No.
It will buzz and vibrate. Will a motor that is designed to run on AC work if
you feed it DC? No. The rotor will probably give a convulsive jerk and then
stop.

A "DC motor" (one that is designed to run from a DC supply) has a commutator
to energise the various coils in the rotor, in sequence, as the rotor turns
through a stationary magnetic field from a permanent or electro magnet in
the motor casing.