Posted to alt.home.repair
HerHusband HerHusband is offline

Default Old Behr Deck Stain Usable?

Behr makes good products. I don't use them often but what I have used
are always a good thing.

We used Behr semi-opaque stain on our house and were quite happy with it.
We used it again when we repainted several years later (we sprayed the
first time so it didn't penetrate much and wore off quickly).

We also used Behr latex paint for a couple rooms in our house and were
happy with it too.

Unfortunately, I tried Behr deck stain and it was horrible. No matter how
much I mixed it up, it went on streaky and splotchy. I was using a high
quality brush, but it looked terrible and didn't penetrate at all. I
definitely would NOT recommend Behr deck stain.

A few years later I completely sanded off the old Behr deck stain and
applied Sikkens stain. It was a MUCH better stain, actually soaking into
the wood with nice even coverage. It did stink like motor oil for a few
days, but we are very happy with the end result. Several years later it
still looks nice.

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com