Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default painting wood using oil-based paint

On Sunday, August 14, 2016 at 10:34:50 AM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 08/14/2016 8:30 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Says who? Benjamin Moore has the instructions for their Arborcoat Solid
Stain, which is the product she's talking about. Not one word about the
need to prime when going over any existing product. They don't even call
for a primer for bare wood. If they thought it was a problem, it would be
called out in the instructions. I'll stick with their instructions.

Actually the product description says

"Solid Waterborne Stain
Features :

Ideal for pressure-treated lumber, cedar and redwood
Excellent color retention and durability
Creates a smooth finish
Self-priming on most surfaces
..."

The key word there is "most"; it's not a blank "No primer needed no
matter what" statement at all.

I wasn't referring to the product description, I was referring to the
application instructions that are on the can. If they require a primer
to put it over oil based product, that's where they would say so.
This isn't an unusual thing, it's fairly common and it would be pretty
dumb for BM to not state it, if it's required, will cause failure, etc.

Elsewhere it has the comment regarding primer being a desirable for
previously painted surfaces that may have become chalky. Whether the
particular job does/does not need priming is dependent upon more
information than we've got data to answer here...

I would agree with that, but it wasn't me that said that primer is
a must when going over oil based. If it's typical, weathered paint
that is otherwise sound, then you can go over it with latex. If it's
chalky or has other problems, then that is an issue with any kind of
base.

It appears to me the BM response was predicated on the assumption of
painting new raw wood, _NOT_ specifically addressing the actual
situation of repainting. Hence the suggestion to use a stain which is
just downright silly over paint, imo.

How many paint cans have you seen of solid stain topcoat product
or similar, where in the application instructions they only address
going over bare wood? The vast majority of the product is used
going over previously painted surfaces and again, in the application
instructions BM doesn't have any restriction on using it over existing
oil based paint.