Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Replacing fuse box with consumer unit

On Sunday, 14 August 2016 14:34:31 UTC+1, Graham. wrote:
I'd be inclined to use a decent chocolate block connector large enough for
the wires to overlap so both screws bite on both wires.

For the record, that's the technique I always adopt with chock-block,
but I've never seen it done by a professional, or inside a
manufactured appliance.

I always do that when practical. Much better reliability & safety. Plus in situations where it's permissible you can also ignore the connector's current rating if you've got 2 copper cables pressed well against each other - most of the current bypasses the chocblock. That does not include house wiring of course.

For the record one can overtighten these things. Go too far and the cable ends become flat thin weak things that fracture readily.

NT