Posted to uk.d-i-y
Michael Chare[_4_] Michael Chare[_4_] is offline

Default Replacing fuse box with consumer unit

On 14/08/2016 05:22, John Rumm wrote:
On 13/08/2016 22:20, Michael Chare wrote:

There is a fault in the neutral of one of the cables going to my six way
fuse box. To find this fault I am likely to have to remove the fuse box
so that I can inspect the incoming cables and maybe replace one of them.

This makes me wonder whether I should replace the fuse box with a modern
consumer unit, probably 8 way.

Can anyone recommend a suitable unit.

Pick any of the well known brands and you should be fine. MK is nice but
can be pricey - although sometime you will find package deals for a CU
and a selection of MCBs that are not bad.

Hager have a good range of stuff, also good quality. Contactum is cheap
and "ok". I tend to avoid the wholesalers own brands since its not
always obvious what you are getting or what the spares availability will
be like.

One of the problems that will
inevitably occur is that the house wiring cables will be to short. So
ideally I would like a unit that has all the terminals close to the
cable entry point would be a bonus.

You are likely to find that all 8 way boxes have a very similar layout
and that is likely to be different from your current CU. So arm yourself
with some suitable lengths of wire, and decent quality crimps (+tool) so
that you can extend the ones you need to. (you can also het a bit of
wiggle room by choosing the ordering of the MCBs to suite the wire
lengths you have).

Thanks, I just bought a Screwfix crimp tool to mend my hob!

Would these be suitable crimps:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-X-Asso...AOSw3KFWgil T

Any need for additional insulation such as tape and/or heat shrink?

Are RCBOs a good idea?

--
Michael Chare

---