Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default OT Organic flow batteries

On Sunday, 14 August 2016 04:56:46 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 13/08/2016 18:17, harry wrote:

Nobody

Bzzzzrt Wrong, try again harry.

Are you telling us that never in the history of EV ownership has anyone
ever ran out of juice?

runs car batteries to depletion because you can't take electricity to
them in containers/buckets.

As there is noway of accurately knowing how much energy remains in a
battery, no-one runs their battery even close to depletion.

Lets take a real world example. A friend of mine was coming over to see
me in his leaf. He left home with a nearly full charge, to do what
should have been a 40 mile journey. Normally he can *just* get here and
back again on a single charge.

This time it was very cold, and he got stuck for an hour and a half in a
traffic jam on a dual carriage way due to an accident. Since he needed
to run heating for that time, that eat into his juice. When he got close
to my place his car was telling him he had 10 miles of range. Then he
found they were resurfacing our road, and he could not get into it from
one end. Needed to detour of a few miles to go to the other end and come
in that way. He finally pulled onto my drive with the car indicating 4
miles range remaining.

Now whether you know exactly what capacity remains or not does not
really matter. Its not good for the stress levels to have the car saying
4 miles left when you have an unknown number of miles still to do, and
nowhere handy to plug it in.

One never knows exactly how much power will be consumed on a "new"
journey either. There are so many factors.

It even varies on a repeat journey.

Indeed it does.

I have never used a fast charger or needed to.

The significance being what exactly?

Others have, and rely on them, but many will try and charge at home most
of the time.

As a none owner of an electric car, how is it you're such an expert
anyway?

Because I talk to people who do own them. People who still go out to
work and have families and need to use their cars for day to day stuff,
not retired keyboard warriors who just need a little jaunt to take the
Mrs to the shops twice a week.

I have also wired up / moved charging points for them as well.

Charging at home is far cheaper than petrol even on day rate price
electricity.

And charging in the car park at Lakeside now costs my mate with the leaf
£12, that's not far cheaper than petrol (if at all).

In Summer I charge on free electricity.

Its not free - it cost you a significant capital cost to be able to
collect this "free" electricity.

The whole scheme only works because you benefit from the existing CCGT
power stations that buffer solar generation to make it usable in the
first place, and subsidies collected from other energy users. A burden
that falls most heavily on those for whom energy bills represent a
significant portion of their income.

Are you seriously going to tell us that you would have bothered with
your solar PV installation if it were not grid connected, and there were
no FiT payments? Where the deal was, use the power when available, or
not at all?

In Winter, depending on
weather, sometimes by night.

Free electricity at night huh? Full moon was it?

Plus there is no road tax.

Yup, you keep convincing yourself.

--
Cheers,