Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default painting wood using oil-based paint

On Saturday, August 13, 2016 at 8:01:54 PM UTC-4, Mayayana wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote

| If I'm not mistaken it's LP Smart Siding/Trim or a similar engineered
| product.
|
| http://lpcorp.com/products/siding/lp...e-trim-siding/
|
| I have a shed built from the product. It comes primed and ready to finish
| paint. It's OSB with one face finished to look like many different
sidings,
| including T-111, or in the case of trim, "rough cedar" as just one
example.

| http://www.lpsmartside.com/products/trimfascia/
|
| It's actually nice stuff to work with and so far my shed has held up
nicely. It's going on 10 years old and there's no sign of paint failure,
insect issues,
| rot, or anything of that nature.

Thanks for that info. I wasn't aware of such a product.
OSB seems to be what I've always called flakeboard.
Not something I'd want as siding. I'm surprised it holds up
to weather.

It's not the OSB of our youth. It's mixed with waxes, resins, zinc borate,
etc. Extremely resistant to weather and insects.

http://lpcorp.com/media/1136/lp-smar...-english-1.pdf

http://lpcorp.com/media/3301/fiber-h...nfographic.jpg

I always find it odd that they make those fake wood
products so rough. Like plastic doors and plastic planks.
They'd be OK if they were smooth, but instead the
companies overcompensate, making them look like
sandblasted wood in order to not look like plastic.
Which makes them look like plastic.

It definitely does not look like plastic is real life. It's too dark
to take a picture of my shed right now, but I assure that there is no
plastic look to it.