Posted to sci.electronics.repair
J.B. Wood[_2_] J.B. Wood[_2_] is offline

Default POTS Problem Follow-On

On 08/11/2016 10:53 PM, Ron D. wrote:

is there any chance you have DSL?

More than 3 filters? Installed wrong?

Check for phone line sounds when you have the DSL modem on and off.
If you hear sort of a static on the phone that goes away when the
modem is turned off think of a DSL filter/splitter issue.

If you have more than one device in an area, us only one filter
there.

You really need to plug a known good phone and cord into the NID
outside the house. If you don't have one, ask for one to be
installed.

The protector should essentially be open on both sides to ground.

The "protector" which is on the telco side can also cause issues.
You might also have one inside if the wiring is old. It was the
black thing where the phone terminated inside the house. It has
solid carbon under the screws.

The real important test that's hard to do is effectively the
resistance looking into your house with the NID disconnected.
generally, it's easy to do some of the disconnections with the NID
itself, but a blank cord will do what you have to do.

If you have a few phones, try to measure the resistance looking only
into the house with the phones disconnected. That measurement should
essentially be an open circuit. This is where you need to start
looking for cob webs in the sockets. You can do this test with the
phone connected but off hook. I forget the magic mumbers your
looking for. I think it's a few megohms max.

If overhead lines, then spiders in the box there too.

Hello, and no DSL. The rest of your points make technical sense. My
ca. early 1940s apartment building has a large grey wall-mounted W-E/Ma
Bell box in the laundry room with a punch-down terminal strip. The
house wiring from these terminals to units isn't the traditional
sheathed red-green-yellow-black but simply twisted pair (IOW just tip
and ring) like that used to connect to the outside plant. The
connections from the wall-mounted terminals in my unit and the
corresponding incoming phone line wires appear to be firmly punched-down
in the W-E terminal strip.

So, except for access to the laundry room terminal block and the
terminals in my unit there's really nothing else I can check either on
the outside of the building or elsewhere (which should be Verizon's
responsibility). Sincerely,

--
J. B. Wood e-mail: