Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

Default OT Organic flow batteries

Only technology that CAN theoretically equal a tank of diesel weight for
weight is lithium air. But its fraught with practical issues. At least a
decade away I would guess.

And I wonder how long it will take to recharge the battery - I bet it's
longer than the 5 minutes or so that it takes to fill up with 60 litres of
diesel and add another 700 miles of range.

When people recharge electric cars at home, how do they get the mains power
to the car? Trailing extension cable from a socket in the garage etc, or
some sort of permanent charging point that has to be installed, maybe by
digging up drive to lay cables from nearest ring main. What sort of power
(ie what is current rating of cable) is typical?

Changing the subject, what is it about laptop batteries which mean that they
can hold less and less charge as they are recharged, to the point where they
eventually will not hold any charge and the laptop can only be used on the
mains? I've had this happen to each of my laptops, and I'm very careful
about not leaving it permanently on mains. I try to charge it in the evening
when I'm around to stop charging once it's 100%, rather than leaving it on
overnight or for many days without sometimes running it off battery and then
charging from low. Happened with HP, Acer and Samsung laptops.