Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Aluminum Trailer Questions

On Wed, 10 Aug 2016 21:31:38 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Wed, 10 Aug 2016 17:47:56 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Wed, 10 Aug 2016 16:47:41 -0400, wrote:

On Wed, 10 Aug 2016 10:49:14 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
m...
On Sun, 07 Aug 2016 21:38:13 -0400,
wrote:

On Fri, 5 Aug 2016 09:27:15 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

wrote in message
Hey everyone,

I'm planning to make an unusual trailer to tow by my motorcycle. It'll
be
used to haul sculpture (under 300 lbs) or two stacked 17'-long sea
kayaks.

Here are the basic features:

Aluminum (I want a total weight under 150 lbs if possible)
8' long flatbed deck
Tongue will be 'retractable' from 1' to 6' long.
2.5' wide
16" wheels (the sort used for motorcycle sidecars)

7075 is very strong, and pretty darn corrossion resistant as aluminum
alloys
go. 5052 and 5086 are more corrosion resistant, and are the most common
marine grade alloys. 5086 is also quite strong.

Remember that most MC hitches are only rated for about 300lbs GROSS
towing
capacity, and you need to have just the right amount of weight on the
hitch.

MY Questions:

1. What are the most important issues I may have?
2. What aluminum extrusions would be best (aluminum alloy, dimensions &
wall-thickness)

THANKS!

James
www.jameskelsey.com

6061T6?

+1

I ran across a blog by a guy building a submarine out of 6061, but I never
did follow up to see how he did. The thing that got my attention in thiws
thread was "Sea" kayaks. I don't know how well 6061 holds up to sal****er.
Otherwise 6061 is really nice to work with. Cuts well (compared to 5052)
and is pretty easy to weld.

6061 has pretty good corrosion resistance, even when scratches.
Generally not used below the waterline (immersed) in large boats, but
used extensively in aircraft pontoons and a lot of aluminum
pleasurecraft

Grumman canoes are made from 5052 aluminum

Weren't those riveted?
http://test2.fiddlersgreen.net/aircr...taking-off.jpg

Yes the grumman was rivetted. So was my big Springbok - but it was
also welded in numerous places due to some EXTREME abuse. (it was a
former Algonquin Outfitters canoe that had seen many beaver dams, and
rocky portages at the hands of less than proficient canoists.)
Not sure which alloy it was - but it was HARD!!!! Welded like 6061.