Posted to alt.home.repair
Tekkie® Tekkie® is offline

Default Homemade Depth Stop For Drill

DerbyDad03 posted for all of us...

On Wednesday, August 10, 2016 at 2:54:09 PM UTC-4, Tekkie® wrote:
Tekkie® posted for all of us...

DerbyDad03 posted for all of us...
Besides, as noted in my OP, the depth issue is related to depth of the
counter sink, not the screw hole. While a piece of tape would have *told*
me when I was at the correct depth, the homemade stop *ensured* that I
was at the proper depth. No more, no less, no whoops. Tape is flexible,
tape gets worn, tape get wrinkled.

With 20 holes to drill, a solid stop with a wide base (the washer) basically
eliminates any chance of drilling any of the holes too deep. I just finished
drilling them earlier this evening and the stop worked to perfection. The
next task is to cut the plugs to hide the holes.

Okay enough of your nit picking crap...

Why didn't you use a correctly sized drill bit (say a 1/4") marked with tape
to provide the countersink?

They are called screw buttons.

So you drilled countersunk holes to install screw buttons? Why didn't you
just use a dowel?

Okay you didn't mention using plug cutters earlier.

Hmmm, I wonder what I meant when I said:

"The next task is to cut the plugs to hide the holes."

IDK, you tell me.

--
Tekkie