Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] Paintedcow@unlisted.moo is offline

Default (OT) Traffic Speed Detecting Signs

On Wed, 10 Aug 2016 08:19:03 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

On 8/10/2016 3:09 AM, wrote:
Our town recently got one of those Traffic Speed Detecting Signs, that
tell you how fast you're going. I've always wondered how they work, and
why they dont detect cars going the opposite direction.(I assume they
work on radar). I also noticed that they only have TWO digits.
Therefore, if you exceed 99mph, what does the sign do?

Last night I was in a convenvience store, when one of the local cops
walked in. That was my chance to ask him what happens if someone exceeds
99mph. His reply was "I'll give you a speeding ticket". I laughed and
said "that's what I thought you'd say". Then I said, "besides the
ticket, what would the sign do?" He said he never tried it, so he dont
know.

If a cop dont know, who does? I'm wondering if they go back to zero, or
just keep showing 99?????

He's mixing the sign and physical presence of cop.
There are a couple of signs I frequently go through here and they blink
off when your car has passed. They do not keep a record of your car and
speed.

In Europe over 25 years ago we were told that trucks were required to
have a recorded record of their trip and when cops pulled them over
would check the record and could give them a speeding ticket even though
they exceeded the speed hours ago.

One day with gps's and computers recording they could do this to anybody.

I rarely see a cop near those signs. I know they signal is not being
sent to the cops, recorded, or anything. The sign is programmed to flash
if I'm exceeding the speed by more than 3mph or something like that. In
town the speed limit is 20, and it wont flash at 21 or 22, but I think
it starts to flash at 23 or 24 (and up).

Ive seen those same signs used at tractor and truck pulls to record the
speed of the puller....