Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Gareth Magennis[_3_] Gareth Magennis[_3_] is offline

Default Valve amp HV switches

I have a fairly vintage valve amplifier with a dead HT (standby) switch.

It's this kind of format, SPST rocker:
http://uk.farnell.com/arcolectric/c1...ack/dp/2068581

Now, this switches the rectified HT winding from the transformer, which is
around the usual 500v with no valves in place.

I've been looking at replacements, but have not found any such switch that
has a rating of 500v DC.
Here's a typical search result:
http://uk.farnell.com/webapp/wcs/sto... 110173704&vw=

Many of these seem to be only rated,or at least tested, at 24v DC (?)
Nothing I have found has been anywhere near 500v.

And, here is a Carling switch typically found in Fenders, Mesa etc, to
switch the typical 500v HT.
http://www.hotroxuk.com/carling-spst...-sw110-63.html
It has a maximum DC voltage rating of 250v, way higher than anything else I
have managed to find, but definitely not 500v rated.

I'm particularly concerned that the switch originally fitted, and similar
generic types available from Farnell only seem to be rated to 24v DC.
No wonder it is faulty.

Unless I am missing something here.

Gareth.