Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Homemade Depth Stop For Drill

On 2016-08-08, Jon wrote:

Nice build, looks more fancy than the one I made with a chunk of wood
and a washer.

Yeah, but does it work any better than putting masking tape on the
drill bit?

It'll certainly be more precise (and, perhaps more importantly) stop any
'oops!' of going too far that can happen if a bit grabs a little grain
or ones attention is distracted by an external event or whatever...it
may not be critical in this application; occasionally a "blowout" on the
other side may be the result and end up ruining a workpiece.

Well, at least *somebody* gets it! ;-)

In this case it was a delicate balance between making the countersink deep
enough to hold the plugs and preventing the screw from blowing out the face
of the bed rail. I could have shopped for 1/4" shorter screws, but I had
the longer screws on hand and it was easier to make the stop than to run
to store.

I mic'ed it after the screws were in and I was pretty damn close to a
blow out. I hope the wood doesn't shrink. ;-)