Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default POTS Problem Follow-On

In article , says...

No but it was awfully humid out. It still seems strange that the called
party (the problem phone line) would indicate the line in use (busy
signal) to the calling party when all phones on the problem line were
on-hook. As I previously stated, taking any one of the 3 phone
extensions off-hook results in a definite "click" like you get right
before the dial tone comes on. Of course in this case you never got a
dial tone. All DTMF pads appeared to operate as expected. Sincerely,

Try measuring the voltage on the phone line. I don't recall what it
is,but it will be a high DC voltage (still less than 100 volts DC) and
drop to a lower voltage (maybe around 8 to 10 volts) when you pick up
the phone and get a dial tone. When the phone rings there is about 100
volts on the line during the ring tones.

Then compare those voltages to another phone line in another house.

---