Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bennett[_2_] Bennett[_2_] is offline

Default POTS Problem Follow-On

On 8/9/2016 8:00 AM, J.B. Wood wrote:
On 08/09/2016 08:57 AM, Chuck wrote:

Did it rain just before your phones stop working? I went through the
scenarios that you describe for years with AT&T before the tech. told
me the buried line had water in it and that they won't replace it. Had
to go to an internet phone service.

No but it was awfully humid out. It still seems strange that the called
party (the problem phone line) would indicate the line in use (busy
signal) to the calling party when all phones on the problem line were
on-hook. As I previously stated, taking any one of the 3 phone
extensions off-hook results in a definite "click" like you get right
before the dial tone comes on. Of course in this case you never got a
dial tone. All DTMF pads appeared to operate as expected. Sincerely,

Perhaps, next time it happens, disconnect the phones one by one. You
might have an intermittent phone causing the problem.