Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default When we get old (er)

"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 08 Aug 2016 13:22:35 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Thursday, 4 August 2016 21:08:50 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Thursday, 4 August 2016 09:01:42 UTC+1, Bod wrote:
On 04/08/2016 08:49, Andy Burns wrote:
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:

apparently "they don't make dishes
anymore" so we only have deep bowls

My (not ancient) crockery has rice bowls and cereal dishes, I find
the
rice bowls far better for cereal, than the cereal bowls which are
too
shallow and slosh out the sides to easily.

you'll appreciate the havoc that
causes trying to load the machine efficiently

Not really, no space for a washdisher here.

Washing up by hand only takes about 3 or 4 minutes with just the two
of
us.

Even less with takeways. :-)

A Fishwasher is a waste of money to us and simply something else to
go
wrong, also takes up unnecessary space.

I cod do with one when I'm really lazy

Can't see why I should be doing what a machine can do for me.

for me it depends on the machine.

It actually depends on how much work is involved in doing it by hand.

I can make a cup of tea all by myself I don;t need a teasmaid
they just seem more trouble than they are worth.

And only a fool thinks that about a dishwasher or washing machine.

I run mine about every 9 days for the normal stuff and another run
for the full sized beer bottles we call long necks every 24 days.

I don't have one to run.

More fool you.

Soemthing wrong with the washing machine at the WE.
took from friday 8pm to sunday 6pm to do a wash
although I turned it off at night.

Time to get it fixed.

If I get off my arse and fix the original one that is now
40+ years old and likely just has a scaled up solenoid
valve, I'll likely have two, mainly so I can just put stuff
straight into the appropriate dishwasher as it is used.

how many of yuo are there ?

One.

The latest Bosch only cost me $50 at a garage sale
and works fine.

for me it'd be the running cost that would annoy me I suspect.

More fool you. It actually costs less to run than doing it by hand.

Sure?

Yep, essentially because hand washing after
every meal uses a hell of a lot more hot water
than running the dishwasher every 4 days or so.

Dishwashers only wash properly at something like 75C. You don't use
anything like that temperature by hand,

Yes, but you use a hell of a lot more water.

most of the work is done by scrubbing, but a dishwasher can't scrub. You
also drip dry things, or dry them with a towel. The dishwasher uses heat.

Not always, my original one didn't, just did a hot rinse and you
just open the door when its finished and let the stuff air dry.