Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Home Builder Guys, What Would You Do?

On 8/7/2016 2:09 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
Not getting much traction on the web forums out there, so I figured I'd
post here.

Specs:
1978 Ranch, Middle TN, Stud Framed, Rotted Masonite Siding- Covered in
Vinyl

Due to moisture getting into garage I did some exploratory digging and
discovered that the garage was built on a floating slab with NO
footings. This is *not* a monolithic slab, just (-)4" concrete sitting
on soil. I don't even see gravel or a moisture barrier. At present, it
has lasted this long with no major cracks or severe settling, even with
exterior load bearing walls sitting on outer edge of the pad.
The rest of the house has proper footings and foundation block, creating
a crawl space.

The lack of proper footings is one issue. The other issue is that the
siding goes all the way down to the ground or at least to the concrete
pad which sits on the ground. This is improper in my opinion and I'd
like to rectify the situation.

The dirt was so high on this side of the house that it was at or above
the vinyl siding for much of the length. Rain water would puddle against
the siding, go under/behind it, soak into and saturate the old Masonite
siding, and wick into and underneath the sill plate, getting inside the
house. I dug all that dirt out and that's when I discovered the garage
pad without footings.

What I would like to do (in conjunction with a siding/style remodeling)
is to install a brick or stone knee wall on the lower third of the
exterior, with siding above. I know they make "stick-on" stones that
get put on with a skim coat of mortar. They also make faux-stone and
brick panels that are composite material.

So here's what I have to figure out.
1. Do I need to dig out and pour footings under the garage pad to
properly support the load above it?
2. What sort of footing do I need underneath the masonry knee wall? Even
if I use fake veneer stone, they will be attached to the wall, which
doesn't have proper footings.

Do you have a friend that is an engineer? ;~)