jakdedert

Default Technics SA-500 (was) What is that the smell of burnt electornics called?

"Jamie" wrote in message
now you see that was your problem!
the smoke escaped out of the original
part and failed to operate afterwards!
didn't any one ever tell you that you
can not let the smoke out!

Couldn't have had much smoke in there...never saw it come out....

jak

jakdedert wrote:

"jakdedert" wrote in message
. ..

Tom MacIntyre wrote:

On 23 Feb 2004 01:06:27 -0800, (bleed-22) wrote:

I propose the term "electro-fry".

As in "I smell electro-fry."

There has to be a term everyone agrees on. Not the usual
stumbling... "You know that smell when electronic equipment goes bad
or takes a power hit."

Ideas?

I don't know, but I have actually seen the high-voltage transformer in
some older Samsung (I think) manuals referred to as the "fryback"
transformer. :-)

Tom

I've got a Technics SA-500 receiver open on the bench. On the p.s.

section

of the board it has silk-screened: "REGURATOR."

BTW, (I should make a new thread?) if anyone has a schematic for this

one,
there's a transistor -- Q-751, a C1398-- on the tuner section of this

one
which is shorted. I'm thinking it's a voltage 'regurator' for the

section,

but seems pretty 'hefty' for the purpose. Any ideas as to why that one
would fry? Everything around it looks good. The amp section works

fine,
but the tuner (both AM & FM) started getting intermittant before it went

out

completely. I'm hoping there's nothing downstream that's gone south,

but
need to order the part before I can find out(?).

Apparently the transistor went bad on its own. Replaced
w/NTE152...everything's back...been burning it in for the last couple

hours
and seems fine. I carefully monitored the temperatures in the section
before buttoning it back up...nothing smoked or even got hot.

I did notice almost *no* heat sink compound on the original--just a 'wet
spot--where the transistor clamped to the heatsink. I liberally goo-ed

it
and wiped off the excess before installing the assembly. Hopefully it's

now
good for another 30 years or so.

jak