Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Moisture in boat lift motor

On 08/07/2016 9:14 AM, Janice L Moss-BROWN wrote:
My automatic boat lift fell off the arm of the lift into the water.
Amazingly, we let the motor dry out and it worked. We had to reattached and
it was working fine and now it is tripping and shutting off on the down
mode after about a second. We are assuming it has found moisture,
since it had fallen in the water. Is there any hope that this will
dry out? Should we wait? Should we buy a new motor? Have we ruined
something else such as the electrical to the house?

How long a wait and what kind of water and how long was it in the water?
How long has it been working since? (So many questions, so little
data... )

All sorts of possibilities as to the cause depending on what actually
happened. Sounds like not a lot of "hands-on" experience there, I'd
suggest taking it to a local motor shop and having them evaluate it for
repair vis a vis replacement _if_ it was clean water and didn't sit on
the bottom for a week or more before you found out about or the
like...otherwise, I'd guess it's not _that_ big a motor, probably just
go ahead and replace it and make sure the new one is secure.

And no, this will have no affect on any other wiring or the like as long
as it was installed correctly and the wiring to it is adequate for the
purpose and was also installed at minimum requirements per NEC.

--

---