Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Parts needed for Glow Worm Sunrod G50 boiler

On Saturday, 6 August 2016 14:02:49 UTC+1, Capitol wrote:
tabbypurr:
On Saturday, 6 August 2016 11:10:53 UTC+1, Fredxxx wrote:
On 06/08/2016 09:50, Capitol wrote:
tabbypurr wrote:
On Thursday, 4 August 2016 12:32:51 UTC+1,
wrote:

The gas valve and / or burner on my faithful old Sunrod G50 boiler
have finally failed after about 50 years use.

Reliable but crap efficiency& poor safety. If nothing else, check
your fresh air supply is always sufficient& fit a CO alarm.

Efficiency should be in the 78% region.

I would say a little over optimistic given its age. Its alos too old for
any published rating.

Lasting 50 years I presume makes it a cast iron exchanger. Presumably the 'rods' are short things moulded into the iron to improve heat exchange. So it'll be in the 60s of % efficient, with a lot of thermal inertia. So you're paying around 50% above a modern boiler's gas bill. OTOH no endless repair& replace costs. There's always the risk you might need repair and/or replacement though.

45 years ago the average efficiency for an Ideal Standard gas
boiler was in the region I specified. Manufacturers figures. A modern
boiler is not much better if in non condensing mode.

that would explain it, it was a manufacturer's figure. It's also a different boiler.

NT