Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Progress on the Bed job, AKA actual woodworking

On 8/5/2016 8:02 AM, Sonny wrote:
On Thursday, August 4, 2016 at 6:01:45 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
I have not posted much lately as I have been pretty busy with the
Bed Project and all of that which comes with so called retirement.
:~)

In other words, you've been lazy, lately. I see (first pic) the
Supervisor in the background, probably having to prod you with a
stick (or scrap board), to get things done.

Actually lazy kicks in pretty quick. I walk out into the shop at 9:00
am after breakfast and first thing I look at is the thermometer, 91
degrees F. ;~(

I can, somewhat, identify with slower than normal work. The heat and
older age laziness has deterred me from getting into the woodshop (no
AC), but I have been doing some upholstery work, lately, in an AC
environment.

I can tolerate the heat with fans blowing on me but once I begin to
sweat I heat up quickly. Sweat does you no good in high humidity. I
have to go inside and dry off for a while and am good to go for another
hour or two. If I am outdoors the heat does not bother me so much if
there is a at least a slight breeze.

Anyway I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and hope to
deliver in the next few weeks.

It's looking good. Surely, your customer will be pleased.

Thank you! I have been sending pictures at various stages and she is
pleased.

Questions?

Seems the bed will be fairy heavy, compared to a standard(?) bed.
Just wondered how difficult is it to disassemble and transport.
These days, I dislike lugging heavy loads, anymore.

I estimate about 200~250 lbs with out a mattress. Yes it is heavy.
there are two pieces of 3/4" thick plywood that set on top, those come
off and then with the 9 drawers removed you have access to the 8 bolts
to remove the head board and foot boards. Not hard but multi stepped.
Our personal bed is similar to this one but has 18 drawers instead of 9.
I have relocated it twice. The base is probably the heaviest at
between 80~100 lbs. Too big for one person but pretty easy, with plenty
of places to grab, for two people.

Does the bed's body rest on the floor?

With a carpeted floor it is mostly supported by the wood frame. On a
hard floor you level the 4 corners and then simply adjust the rest to
"just" touch the floor. There are 15 adjustable feet. This is the
first one that I have built that will be sitting on carpet. You
absolutely need the feet for hard floors.

Here is the bottom. Click to zoom in.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

Seems, I see some casters in
some corners... I can't tell what that hardware(?) is, if it's
harware. Or is the body supported by the foot & head boards, only.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

The head and foot boards are strictly decoration. They do not support
any weight other than their own weight. The base would work just fine
all on its own.

Sonny