Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Septic tank leak repair

On 08/04/2016 4:06 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Thursday, August 4, 2016 at 3:58:01 PM UTC-4, Frank wrote:

Another aspect of this, which I believed was discussed in the
see how you get effluent pooling up, unless something is wrong
with the leach field and/or the connection to the leach field.
The leach field, at least the one's I've seen, are a couple
feet below grade and are downhill from the tank. So, for there
to be effluent coming up at the tank, it would seem the leach
field would have to be not leaching properly, allowing the water
to back up. In other words, I tend to doubt that his real problem
is cracks.

Well, I've seen several, and as described, none have had the entrance to
the drain field anyways _near_ that close to the tank; the minimum has
been some 20-ft and the furtherest here is pushing 100.

The tank sits in the ground; no installation I've seen has anything
except backfill around the tank so unless the soil is extremely porous
or there's a path somewhere for the leaking water to follow, what else
_can_ it do but pond in the near area if the leak is sizable?

I've seen no other thread that describes the situation so it's all
hypothetical as far as the actual case, but again, if it were a
slow-enough leak that it doesn't pond/break through/show the signs of
impending breakthrough I don't know that one would have any way
typically to know it was leaking.

If one _did_ have such signs, then it's still possible it isn't the tank
actually having crack but a failed outlet pipe joint or other leak cause...

--

---