Posted to alt.home.repair
Idlehands Idlehands is offline

Default Why would a 50-gallon propane water heater just stop working?

On 2016-08-03 12:47 AM, Tatsuki Takahashi wrote:
On Mon, 1 Aug 2016 16:12:20 -0600, Idlehands wrote:

I created a vacuum attachment from 1/2" pvc to vacuum the underside of
my HW tank, it seems the reduced air flow overheats the the burner
chamber and the thermal fuse opens and shuts down pilot.

Once the thermal fuse had reset the tank lit normally and then a few
hours later the pilot light would be out again. It's a simple fix.

This may be my real problem because the pilot light stays lit when I light
it and watch for a few minutes, so, the thermocouple is at least working
for those few minutes.

Where is this "thermal fuse"?
That's what I need to check I think.

Also I will follow the advice to remove the burner assembly, which, after
watching a few youtube videos, seems super easy.

I guess this is stuff I should have done long ago as preventive
maintenance.

The thermal fuse on my tank is a round silver disk on the side of the
valve body. It self resets when the system cools down and then I have
to light the pilot again. By vacuuming the base of the tank I have yet
to remove the whole burner assembly and takes 5 minutes.

--
The was a old guy named binky
Whose thumb began to smell stinky

So why can't you accept that he's an idiot and move on?
Bill Jillians (Formosa'd by Checkmate)