Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Re-working pry bar

On Tue, 2 Aug 2016 08:39:57 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 30 Jul 2016 14:23:58 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"

Another smaller bar I use is a 5" flat pry bar, with custom tapering
performed by me. Thin and sharp is good.
https://www.zoro.com/dasco-pro-pry-b...22/i/G4391292/

One of these made it into my BOB: http://tinyurl.com/h7ehxl7
It's amazingly strong, sturdy, and stainless. (retapered)

The closest I have to a BOB is the overnight backpack and tool kit in
the car. The kit includes tools for house repairs when I'm visiting.
The small pry bar in it is L shaped for more leverage removing wheel
covers and inner door panels.

Since I have it out, it needs the edges ground and sanded smoother and
Gorilla tape padding to protect the door paint.

When I travelled on a motorcycle I kept watch for the smallest tools
that would do the job. I quickly learned that crosscut wood saws were
far better than a hatchet when camping, so I carried the smallest
hatchet that worked with the impact driver. It's big enough to chop
kindling and sharpen tent stakes, saws do the rest better anyway. I
think it's this:
https://www.amazon.com/Vaughan-Super.../dp/B001HWD4N0

I couldn't find a compact handle for recip saw blades, which are
longer and more useful than pocket knife saws, so I made a flat
aluminum one that attaches with a screw and wingnut. The wingnut
doubles as the handguard.

I have a little stainless Firestone hand axe in the truck, plus an HF
folding pruning saw. Makes quick work of thin campfire branches.

I wanted this one: http://tinyurl.com/heny4m2
but ended up with this: http://tinyurl.com/hapv47l
It's a good size/shape for carving and whittling.

http://www.harborfreight.com/8-inch-...saw-97343.html

--
It is easier to fool people than it is to
convince people that they have been fooled.