Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,sci.electronics.repair,alt.internet.wireless,comp.mobile.android

Default WiFi sensitivity question for Jeff Liebermann & anyone well versed in antennas

On Mon, 01 Aug 2016 17:04:05 -0400, nospam
wrote:

that's not normal use.

Right. Instead of numbers that are useful for comparing performance,
we might have "it feels fast" or perhaps "it does what I need, which
is good enough". I used to do battle with such nonsense when dealing
with wireless product design. My standard answer was to suggest that
perhaps we need more realistic metrics, test conditions, procedures,
and environments, not vague impressions or "mean opinion scores".

normal use is connecting to wifi networks (public or private) and doing
normal everyday tasks, such as surfing the net, skype, checking email,
downloading new apps, etc. it's not running benchmarks and geeking out
over numbers.

The nice thing about performance tests and benchmarks is that under
real world conditions, you're NOT going to get any better performance
than what is achieved by the performance testing. In other words, it
puts a ceiling on what to expect with your real world tests. Testing
at maximum speeds also tends to expose anomalies that would not
necessarily appear using a real world test. Of course, in the real
world, products that advertise big numbers tend to sell better than
products advertising the lesser real world numbers, which makes
companies prefer benchmarking. It's also rather difficult to compare
products tested under different real world conditions. Many real
world tests are difficult or impossible to reproduce and often produce
different numbers.

i used to use my iphone 4 in a *wide* variety of places, from at home
(fairly strong signal) to airports & hotels (often weak and overcrowded
signals) and never had any problem with wifi or cellular.

Duly noted. Have you tried loading iperf or jperf and run a not so
real world test yet?

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D