Posted to alt.home.repair
Percival P. Cassidy Percival P. Cassidy is offline

Default Why would a 50-gallon propane water heater just stop working?

On 08/01/2016 02:06 PM, Tatsuki Takahashi wrote:

The thermocouple could be going bad and is marginal. It's function is
to generate enough electricity from the heat of the pilot flame to
keep the gas valve open. Or the pilot cam sometimes get blown out if
there is some unusual high wind event that effects it. I assume that when
lit, the pilot flame looks normal? If not, if it's too small, uneven,
etc then there could be some debris in the orifice.

I don't know what "normal" looks like, but what you said about a bad
thermocouple is understandable.

Do you know if it's easy to replace?

I replaced a thermocouple a few months back, but I can't remember how
long it took. Maybe a couple of hours -- or less. One of local "home
improvement" stores (a regional chain) had the thermocouple in stock;
I'm almost certain it was less than $20.

Perce