Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,sci.electronics.repair,alt.internet.wireless,comp.mobile.android
nospam[_3_] nospam[_3_] is offline

Default WiFi sensitivity question for Jeff Liebermann & anyone well versed in antennas

In article , Jeff
Liebermann wrote:

Incidentally, in Dec 2009, I did a price comparison between various
Apple products and the closest equivalent Dell products:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/crud/Mac-vs-PC.xls
The 13" MacBook was a bargain at the time, but all the other Apple
products were about twice the price of Dell. Prices do not include
shipping, Applecare, or Dell extended service contracts. I haven't
checked, but I think the situation is much the same today.

in some cases, apple is much cheaper.

With all due respect, your unsubstantiated opinion does not do much
for me.

i substantiated it.

An example of equivalent PC and Apple products would be more
useful than your astute pontification.

useful to whom and for what task?

for some tasks, apple is the *only* choice. for others, windows is the
only choice. for most tasks, things are fairly close, but mac users are
generally more productive.

Also, you seem to have an
aversion to supplying numbers. A few of these would also improve your
credibility.

i did supply numbers.

It was quite difficult to do the Dec 2009 comparison. I was
recovering at home from surgery and was still somewhat drugged. It
took me all day to nail down the details. Even so, there are
differences between the Dell and Apple products in CPU speeds, memory
types, Firewire ports, and included accessories such as the mouse and
keyboard, which are options on Apple products but generally included
with Dell products. Even with these differences, the ratio was still
about 1:2, except for the 13" MacBook.

you neglected a few differences, such as that mac os x is equivalent to
windows ultimate, not home.

for instance, there's nothing comes close to the retina imac 5k.
dell sells a similar 5k display *without* a computer for roughly what
apple sells the entire imac, which now has a wide-gamut display. not
only that, but it's expected to be updated in about a month or so.

Is it really necessary that I have to do all the research? All that's
necessary is for you to include a URL pointing to the two computers
and displays with prices. Ok, I'll do the grunt work this time for
you and see if you're right.

i assumed someone familiar with product pricing would know the status
quo.

I presume you mean the Apple 27" Retina 5K iMac computer.
http://www.apple.com/imac/specs/
The screen is 5120 x 2880.
B&H has it for $1,900.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._a_27_imac_wit
h_retina.html

that's the middle model, but you can always configure to order.

$1799 for the base model:
http://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/imac

and as i said, the imac is due for an update, expected in a month or
so, which means the above specs are about to change.

I'll also assume that you're referring to the Dell XPS 27 Touch
All-In-One Desktop:
http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/xps-27-2720-aio?stp=1
The screen is 2560 X 1440 or 1/4th that of the Apple display.
Prices vary from $1,700 to $2,700.

you assume wrong.

i specifically said the dell 5k display, which has the same 5120 x 2880
resolution and is $2k msrp:
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...s&l=en&s=bsd&c
s=04&sku=up275k3

that display was originally $2500, but then apple came out with the
imac 5k and dell had to cut its price.

street price is $1500ish these days, except that's only the display.

you still need a computer that can drive that 5k display, which means a
dual video card and dual cables because one single displayport
currently can't support 5k.

So, you're correct that Apple is indeed cheaper than Dell for roughly
equivalent computers and with a better built-in monitor. Apparently,
some things have changed at Apple in the last 7 years. I'll try to be
more careful when making price comparisons in the future. I'll
probably update the spreadsheet as time permits.

ok.

Of course, this has nothing to do with any alleged wi-fi range
differences between Apple and Android products, which was the original
topic of this discussion.

there aren't any significant differences in normal everyday use.

he's trolling.