Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,sci.electronics.repair,alt.internet.wireless,comp.mobile.android
Aardvarks Aardvarks is offline

Default WiFi sensitivity question for Jeff Liebermann & anyone well versed in antennas

On Sat, 30 Jul 2016 20:44:02 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Well, you're certainly entitled to an opinion. Personally, I prefer
opinions based on repeatable tests, measurements, numerical results,
and calculations.

Jeff,
This nospam guy is actually one of the smarter ones here, along with Rod
Speed and the smartest guy here, who is David Empson. The problem though,
with nospam, is that his only playbook is verbatim what Apple Marketing
feeds him. He has no other repertoire.

Note that all the phones
used in my test showed about a 9 dB drop in receive signal from a
death grip

Where, for others' benefit, 9 decibels is 3db times 3 which is 1/2 times
1/2 times 1/2 the signal strength, which is 0.125 the original signal
strength (or around 1/8th the original signal strength if I did the math
correctly).

That's just a crappy phone. It could be anything from bad design, bad
implementation, bad parts, bad metering, or just having a bad day. I
assume that this has something to do with your defense of Apple, but I
lack the wisdom to make the connection.

Jeff - you have to understand that nospam thinks *exactly* like Apple
Marketing thinks. Thousands of times, he finds the absolute worst example
he can find in Android land, to compare with Apple.

For example, he tries to compare $50 Android phones to $800 Apple phones,
and then says that the Android phones stink. Or, he picks the absolutely
most expensive Android phone he can find on the planet, to compare with the
iPhone, and says conclusively that iPhones cost exactly the same as Android
phones.

In fact, I have a recent thread where I compare PERFORMANCE of a $300
Android phone to the iPhone 6, and he pooh poos that because I didn't use
the absolutely most expensive Android phones on the planet to make my
performance tests.

At first you wonder why he thinks like Apple Marketing, but then you just
get used to it once you understand that:
a. He buys only on cachet (so anything bad about Apple is a threat)
b. He buys based on fear (so anything outside the walled garden is scary)
c. He can only think of the single solution Apple Marketing gives him

Once you realize *everything* he says is imbued by those three tenets, then
you realize why he sounds exactly like Apple Marketing sounds.

Even honesty has a price tag.

The funny thing about nospam, Jeff, is that you can be honest with him, but
he will *never* be honest with you.

If you (or I) have a favorable datum about Android versus iOS, we speak it
out, and weigh it proportionately. Nospam is the consummate Apple marketing
guy. He is so afraid of facts, that he will *never* speak anything out
against Apple, even though he surely must be aware of the huge flaws.

At first I couldn't understand his duplicity. I thought it was stupidity.
But he's duplicitous because of the three things I said:
a. He's *protecting* his purchase decision (at all costs!)
b. He's *protecting* against anything *outside* the walled garden
c. He's *protecting* against the one-button-mouse mentality that Apple
Marketing has and always has had.

So nospam will *never* see both sides of the coin.
Never.
And even if he did - he'd never admit it.

On the other hand, you:
a. Buy by priceerformance so performance is just a set of numbers which
is nothing to fear
b. Buy what works for you with the equipment you use, and not necessarily
only one brand of equipment
c. Try every solution that makes sense, and not just the
single-button-mouse solution that one manufacturers' marketing team
specifies

Until you understand these three things, you'll never understand why nospam
writes what he writes (nor most of the other Apple Aficianados).

a. They care only about style
b. They are fearful of anything not told to them by Apple Marketing
c. They can only think of one-button-mouse style solutions proposed by
Apple Marketing (which only work inside the walled garden).

Anything outside those three areas, they "just give up".
In fact, they're so used to "just giving up", that it's not funny in that
is so different than your mental makeup.