Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Router Template Guide Bushings - Why So Many Sizes?

On 7/31/2016 12:47 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
whit3rd wrote in
:

On Saturday, July 30, 2016 at 9:11:39 PM UTC-7, Leon wrote:
On 7/30/2016 4:09 PM, whit3rd wrote:

For making sliding-dovetail slots, one requires a guide jig.

Actually I made sliding DT joints with my router table and fence. No
jig.

I'm making dovetail slots across a 7' board, for tall bookshelves.
Can't get it accurate enough on the router table, clamping a guide
works. Biggest problem, is getting it clamped without interfering
with router movement.

I've had a few times where I've needed to stop partway through and move a
clamp. Three clamps is the minimum for this: two clamps keep the piece
from rotating as the third is moved.

Sometimes it's necessary to tack nail a board in place using fine brads.
Norm used to do it all the time. (I suspect when Norm makes pancakes, he
puts a "couple of brads in until the glue dries.") It's up to you to
make them invisible once removed. (I've found small holes like that are
often best not fixed.)

LOL Call those holes "worm holes" for added value.
Rockler has "Wormy" Red Oak on sale for $3.99 per BF. I can get
perfectly fine Red Oak for less.