Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Router Template Guide Bushings - Why So Many Sizes?

On 7/30/2016 4:09 PM, whit3rd wrote:
On Saturday, July 30, 2016 at 11:01:02 AM UTC-7, dadiOH wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

Why are there so many different sized bushings?

There are only two times I've used bushings:

1. When using a router to make shelf pin holes.

2. When I need to follow a curved surface.

For making sliding-dovetail slots, one requires a guide jig.
So, cobble something up quickly, and make the guide slot with your dado
set on the table saw...
but, that slot won't be wide enough to guide a router base, so unless
you have dovetail bits with guide bearings (I don't), just use the bushings.
Centering doesn't matter, here, if you don't rotate the router during
the cut.

Actually I made sliding DT joints with my router table and fence. No jig.