Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,sci.electronics.repair,alt.internet.wireless,comp.mobile.android
nospam[_3_] nospam[_3_] is offline

Default WiFi sensitivity question for Jeff Liebermann & anyone well versed in antennas

In article , Jeff
Liebermann wrote:

In your experience with *both* Android & iOS mobile devices, have you also
found the iOS devices severely lacking in WiFi sensitivity (resulting in
dropped connections when Android devices are still working fine)?

Nope. About the same range. At least the same range within some
reasonable tolerance range, such as +/- 10% or so. Note that I
consider "range" to be somewhat equivalent to your "sensitivity" where
"sensitivity" is limited to receive only and does not involve the
antenna or environmental situations. Also note that anecdotal
evidence of a problem is not definitive as measurements such as
"range" and "sensitivity" tend to follow a bell curve.

This is a question borne out of experience setting up WiFi for dozens of
local neighbors, some of whom use Apple ipads & iPhones, and others who use
Android mobile equipment.

I'll resist the temptation to offer my opinion of Apple engineering
and RF design. Well, maybe not totally. This is my play on the
iPhone 4 antenna grip problem in 2010:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/cellular/cell-test.htm
Steve Jobs was right that all phones have the antenna grip problem. He
just didn't mention that the iPhone 4 had it 10 times worse than the
others.

the iphone 4 was not 10x worse.

it was comparable to other phones and in many cases, those other phones
were substantially worse, even dropping to no service, something the
iphone 4 didn't do.

palm pre drops to no service:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zft3-Lwh2bo

droid incredible drops to no service:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4zbQ3f7H0U

droid 2 had serious issues:
https://techcrunch.com/2010/08/13/uh...ts-having-sign
al-issues/
The signal on one of the two units we received is all over the board,
dipping from full signal down to nearly none whilst sitting in the
same spot (and no, wešre not holding it wrong). Engadgetšs review
says that four out of four of their units show endlessly fluctuating
bar counts, and our buddy Rich Brome of Phonescoop says hešs having
bad luck with his, as well. Thats 6 review units, all showing signs
of signal woes. Not a good sign.

Yes of course. Since I don't like Apple, every Apple is by definition
far worse than Android. Or course, for a nominal bribe, I can reverse
the situation.

that explains everything.