Posted to alt.home.repair
Percival P. Cassidy Percival P. Cassidy is offline

Default Planned obsolescence

On 07/28/2016 12:01 PM, I wrote:

We have a couple of 20-year-old recliners, one of which needs new
plastic bushings and drive shaft. But we have been told by the retailer
that no parts are available for anything more than 7 years old. The only
parts I can find on line are a different size. I may be able to ream out
the holes to accept the larger bushings and replace the original square
tube by a round one with flats ground in the appropriate places, but
that is a pain.

Perhaps, when buying anything these days, one needs to ask, "Which parts
of this thing are most likely to wear out?" and buy replacements at the
time.

On further thought, I realized that replacing the hollow square tube by
a solid round rod would not work, because it has to go through some
square openings. 1/2" square tube won't work either, because it is a
little too big, so I ended up reversing the worn square tube, drilled
new holes where needed, and reinforced the damaged part (which was no
longer in contact with the frame) with a splint consisting of two 1/2"
pieces of angle stock, secured by hose clamps.

Perce