Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH[_7_] dadiOH[_7_] is offline

Default Router Template Guide Bushings - Why So Many Sizes?

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

Why are there so many different sized bushings? Why not have just 1
bushing
to accept the largest bit and then make all jigs to work with that one
bushing? All bits, regardless of their size, will be centered in the
bushing,
so why are there multiple bushings that match the bits when its the *jig*
that
determines where the bit will contact the wood?

For one reason, different size bushings let you offset different distances
form whatever the bushing is guiding on; could be handy if you want parallel
grooves and have the tight size bushings.

There are only two times I've used bushings:

1. When using a router to make shelf pin holes.

2. When I need to follow a curved surface.