Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Re-working pry bar

I just lost a "molding bar" that was a perfect tool. It was shaped
exactly right for prying off molding without beating it up. I can't
find its exact replacement (they're all too blunt), but I'm wondering if
I got one that was close, if I could re-work it to what I want.

By re-work, I mean forge: heat to red hot and shape with a hammer. I
think they are carbon-steel hard, from my experience using one. Would I
have to anneal & re-harden after shaping? I'd rather forge than grind
because I'd like it to be wider also.

Lowe's has one that looks just like the lost one, but isn't:

http://www.lowes.com/pd/M-D-Building...-Bar/999914829

Thanks,
Bob