Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Router Template Guide Bushings - Why So Many Sizes?

On Friday, July 29, 2016 at 7:42:32 PM UTC-4, Swingman wrote:
On 7/29/2016 2:25 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I've never used router template guide bushings before, but I am about to.

To install this bed rail hardware, I need to make a 5/8" mortise for the
slotted portion and then two 1/4" mortises right in the center of that
mortise to accept the hooks. My testing shows that a single pass with a
5/8" bit makes a nice snug mortise for the hardware.

Basically what Leon said.

As long as you make a jig that will have stops to limit travel
(generally in two dimensions), then you really don't need a guide bushing.

However, guide bushing can be critical when cutting irregular shapes and
patterns, like dovetail joint pins and tails. AAMOF, the correct size of
the bushing when using commercial jigs, like dovetail jigs, is extremely
critical to the specific jig.

And yes, centering is difficult to achieve, but can be mitigated by
always holding the router in the same orientation when routing,
regardless of the direction you move the router.

For a straight cut the same size as the bit, just design a jig with
stops at the proper project length, as you see he

http://e-woodshop.net/Jigs.htm

scroll down to "Router Mortising Jigs"

Depending upon your router, you may have to capture the router in the
jig so it is fixed on the long axis of the cut, then use spacers as
stops to vary the length of the cut.

The photos should make it obvious ...

....and worth at least a thousand words. Thanks!