Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default TOT "Gavver"

On 29/07/16 11:23, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Fri, 29 Jul 2016 01:03:01 +0100, David Lang
wrote:

I'm trying to research the usage of the word "Gavver".
It's commonly used in North Kent as a slang term for the police. As in
"run, the gavvers are coming" or "I've been nicked, I'm at the gavver
station.
It's not a derogatory term like 'filth' or 'pigs' but general slang like
'rosser' or 'old bill'.
Could you reply with your location and whether or not it's common in
your area?

Never heard of it (Cornwall). Sounds like a local pronunciation of
gaffer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angloromani_language

Is a fascinating read. Romani, the gyspy language has its roots in NW india.

Gavver has the equivalent word Gavaandi in Punjabi.Allegedly.
I think it means something like ' a man from the town' or an 'official'

--
How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think.

Adolf Hitler