Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default TOT "Gavver"

On Fri, 29 Jul 2016 10:18:23 +0100, Bob Minchin wrote:

David Lang wrote:
I'm trying to research the usage of the word "Gavver".
It's commonly used in North Kent as a slang term for the police. As in
"run, the gavvers are coming" or "I've been nicked, I'm at the gavver
station.
It's not a derogatory term like 'filth' or 'pigs' but general slang
like 'rosser' or 'old bill'.
Could you reply with your location and whether or not it's common in
your area?

South London born and bred, moved to West London as a teenager,
University in Canterbury Kent and now living near Southampton, I have
never heard the term.

Did I know you went to Kent? Because, if so, I'd forgotten.

(Reprise a discussion about how many Kent graduates are on here)

Please remind me of when/what!