Posted to uk.d-i-y
Robin Robin is offline

Default TOT "Gavver"

On 29/07/2016 01:03, David Lang wrote:
I'm trying to research the usage of the word "Gavver".
It's commonly used in North Kent as a slang term for the police. As in
"run, the gavvers are coming" or "I've been nicked, I'm at the gavver
station.
It's not a derogatory term like 'filth' or 'pigs' but general slang like
'rosser' or 'old bill'.
Could you reply with your location and whether or not it's common in
your area?

I never heard it at school in/near Maidstone in the late 50s/60s; nor in
South Essex/East London before or after. And my parents were from East
London and Maidstone(ish) respectively so used the respective vernaculars.

But then we rarely had contact with Romanies.

--
Robin