Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Lang David Lang is offline

Default TOT "Gavver"

On 29/07/2016 08:23, Another John wrote:
In article ,
David Lang wrote:

I'm trying to research the usage of the word "Gavver".
It's commonly used in North Kent as a slang term for the police. As in
"run, the gavvers are coming" or "I've been nicked, I'm at the gavver
station.
It's not a derogatory term like 'filth' or 'pigs' but general slang like
'rosser' or 'old bill'.
Could you reply with your location and whether or not it's common in
your area?

My son lives in North Kent. I was at a family function the other day and
was talking to one of his older neighbours, who was complaining about
the number of "pikeys" (his word) in this area these days (though he
implied that there'd always been a presence). He said it was to do with
the amount of building (i.e. casual jobs) in the area.

Very often words like this originate with the "travelling folk" as they
like to call themselves.

I believe its a Romany word, or derived from one, like Chav.

But Dave -- you'd know this, being a Kent native?

Born & raised in East London :-) Emigrated to Kent 30 years ago!

J.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman