Posted to alt.home.repair
ChairMan[_6_] ChairMan[_6_] is offline

Default Planned obsolescence

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
We have a couple of 20-year-old recliners, one of which
needs new
plastic bushings and drive shaft. But we have been told by
the
retailer that no parts are available for anything more
than 7 years
old. The only parts I can find on line are a different
size. I may be
able to ream out the holes to accept the larger bushings
and replace
the original square tube by a round one with flats ground
in the
appropriate places, but that is a pain.

Perhaps, when buying anything these days, one needs to
ask, "Which
parts of this thing are most likely to wear out?" and buy
replacements at the time.

Perce

20 years for a recliner is pretty damn good. You'd be lucky
to get much more than 5-7 yrs out of one now unless you
bought a Hancock and Moore or a Bradington and Young.
Take the mechanism to a welder and see if he can fix any of
it