Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Need to open a DIEBOLD SAFE

On Tue, 26 Jul 2016 20:36:03 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Tue, 26 Jul 2016 19:04:23 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Tue, 26 Jul 2016 15:32:07 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Tue, 26 Jul 2016 14:18:34 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Tue, 26 Jul 2016 11:51:37 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

"DoN. Nichols" on 26 Jul 2016 04:43:37 GMT

While a lance will not "destroy" gold...it will...will destroy
everything else inside the safe, paper money, jewelry etc etc

A lance is something you use when you know the safe is empty..or the
contents need to be destroyed.

It seems to me that one could put the safe on a mill (if
possible), and "mill off" the hinges. Or round and round the door
till it is no longer held in place.

Hmm ... in a real safe, the hinges are to support the door when
it is open -- to keep it from falling and crushing your toes. :-)

There are a number of fat hardened steel bolts around the door
-- deep into the thickness of it -- which go into sockets in the frame.
Mill off the hinges and the door is still not going to go anywhere. :-)

Yeah, there is that.

Maybe just milling a circle in a face until it falls out.

Right, mill the steel cover off the door so you can get at the guts.

Actually...in most of those safes...the cover is on the inside...not
the outside. Lots and lots of metal in the front. Shrug
Most of them are hardened in the front as well..which is why they are
so ****ing hard to get into.

Yeah, I've been watching too many low-budget bank robbery films.

http://image.shutterstock.com/z/stoc...-137488052.jpg

http://thesafehouse.info/articles/Un...fe/Figure4.jpg

http://0.tqn.com/w/experts/Locksmith...03/safe_60.jpg

Holy ****, Batman! That's a layer cake, innit?

You can open them from the inside with a impact driver and a crescent
wrench...or even a square sided big screw driver and a crescent
wrench.

Umm, how often have you locked yourself inside your bank vault, that
you would know this, hmm?

I worked around safes with a family member who worked for Debolt as a
safe repair guy for a few years as a kid. The mechanics of them
fascinated me and I learned a bit about them. Same with slot machines
when I was working for Western Geo out in Nevada. Something
interesting and I tended to pick it up pretty quickly. Shrug

Cool!

--
It is easier to fool people than it is to
convince people that they have been fooled.