Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Wayne Chirnside[_7_] Wayne Chirnside[_7_] is offline

Default W10 PC slower than 8MHz 286/W3.11FWG!

On Wed, 27 Jul 2016 08:48:05 +0100, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

On 26/07/16 21:54, Ian Field wrote:
Originally W10 upgrade on W7 - that fell over after about a month.

A clean ground up install isn't much better...................

When I tried to go back to AVG, the installation failed, so it looks
like I'm stuck with Avira.

Windows is like that. The alternatives aren't.

Do you want to get on with work or play games?

I started with Windows 3.1 -DOS 5 and played around with Slackware,
Knoppix then moved to a matured Mint.

I do not play games.

I do not miss the everyday hassle of keeping up with virus, Trojans and
maleware.

Looked at Win 95 and 98 and saw nothing but the same and more intrusive
EULA agreements.

I see the handwriting on the wall with MicroSlop going down in flames
shortly as they themselves move to Linux calling it Azure but they still
seek to own the consumer.

I cannot think of one single complaint of any of the GNU/Linux I used and
there have been many yet none so far has let me down nor been the endless
hassle MicroSlop was.

My very last encounter with Windows dual booting Linux left me infected
with a boot sector virus rendering one of the two hard drives useless,
care to guess what OS was on that one?

Unfortunately I'd lacked a jumper when I put that drive in so I'd
soldered it, so in the trash bin it went more hassle than it was worth.
It was a rather small drive so not a big deal.

Windows has not infected any machine I've owned in the last eighteen
years, oddly enough dating to the last time I had issues with any of my
systems.

Had Windows Ultimate on a used purchased drive, looked at it, dd if=/dev/
zero of=/dev/sda
clear it right up.
YMMV but I'd be skeptical.