Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Ping Dave Liquorice: TPO

Brian Gaff wrote

I don't understand giff-gaff, even though they nicked my name, I use a
dongle on 3G with them, but seem to need more than 1gig a month, but there
seem to be no other options other than goody bags which has texts and
calls which the dongle does not do of course as its for a machine in a
remote location. Thenwhen you are getting quite low it won't let you pay
them any money to start it anew to be sure it has enough data. It also
seems to suggest they give you a generous buffer but that seems to be not
the case as it all falls back to 2g straight away so the upload I'm
doing then says time lift xx days etc. All I want to do is to be able to
say, I need 200 meg for this week, if its about to run out, I'll pay for a
new bundle now. No way to do that. its ridiculaous, and when you try to
use their talk to an agent it sends you around in circles because the
thing you need to talk about is not on their list of things to talk about.

I'm beginning to think that all these companies who use web sites as their
public facing interface to use a buzzy phrase could do worse than simply
employ somebody on a phone line instead.

Trouble is that is much more expensive and so they wouldn’t
be able to keep offering you the cheapest rates that are the
reason you chose to use them in the first place.

Mind you that person might have english as their 24th language and be no
better.

Most would have english as their second language,
and yes, that is certainly worse that those whose first
language is english most of the time. But again, they
do that to keep their costs down and that is the reason
you chose to use them, the lower price for what they offer.

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
idual.net...
On Tue, 26 Jul 2016 10:25:02 +0100, Another John wrote:

As I said: no further comment from you needed. I was kind of hoping that
you'd reply with "Yes! What the hell *is* happening!" but you're
completely unaware of all this, which makes me feel that the almighty
cock-up applies to me alone ... which in turn implies something else :-(

TPO are a bit wobbly, I'm not quite sure where the root cause(s) lye.

The first SIM they sent me worked, except for incoming CLI. Something
to do with phone (Samsung SIII Mini), the SIM and "the network". they
made a number of test calls to me to get debugging info but ended up
sending a new SIM.

Then I had a billing issue they charged for what should have been
bundled calls and texts, but only on a Saturday or Sunday... Sorted
after the next billing cycle.

Their forgien use charges are a bit of a pain but not being out of
the country for 20 years paid no attention to that. I'm about to go
abroad but I ain't paying £50 plus plus to enable roaming. I'll just
divert to a VOIP number and get a local PAYG SIM.

They are cheap tho' £4.99/month, for about 10 times as many minutes
as I use, at least double the data, but I do sometimes exceed the
texts but provided that is less than 40 it's still cheaper than the
next bundle up.

If I was looking now Asda Mobile would be high up the list. They
allow tethering and their PAYG bundles are reasonably cheap as well.
And before anyone says "GiffGaff" NFG around here, O2 are a 2G only
service...

--
Cheers
Dave.