Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Trevor Wilson Trevor Wilson is offline

Default W10 PC slower than 8MHz 286/W3.11FWG!

On 27/07/2016 6:54 AM, Ian Field wrote:
Originally W10 upgrade on W7 - that fell over after about a month.

A clean ground up install isn't much better...................

When W10 imploded - I couldn't repair, re-install or anything. The only
cure was to overwrite the HDD by installing Linux, then clear all that
out and start over with W10.

Pretty much every application starts off; "not responding", the HDD
activity light is busy almost all the time. The cursor frequently
changes from an arrow to a little blue circle, either way the response
is usually hesitant - if it gets around to moving at
all.....................

It was tolerable when I was using freeAVG, someone told me that was the
cause of the problems and I should switch to Avira - I did that and now
the PC is pretty much unuseable.

When I tried to go back to AVG, the installation failed, so it looks
like I'm stuck with Avira.

Thanks for any help.

**Well, I've been using Windows 10 on a laptop since November 2015. It
is an i5 with 8GB RAM, a standard 1TB HDD. It boots in less than 30
seconds and responds MUCH faster than my desktop PC, which uses an old
i5 processor, 16GB RAM and a 256GB SSD, running Win7. So far, Windows 10
seems to be just fine. Stable, fast and slightly more cumbersome than
Win7, but I can get used to it.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au