Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer Weatherlawyer is offline

Default Riverside Cottage 5

On Monday, 25 July 2016 09:22:46 UTC+1, newshound wrote:
On 7/25/2016 7:14 AM, Weatherlawyer wrote:
On Sunday, 24 July 2016 20:24:28 UTC+1, newshound wrote:

Obviously, the studs may take a bit of load
as the truss deflects, but a little bit of support mid-truss will be
very good at reducing the truss deflection. You don't need to worry
about the studs buckling. You are right that, in theory, you might get a
bit of bowing in any studs which are tight up against the bottom of the
truss. But it won't be significant (unless the build is really cocked up).

Your biggest problem will be if they lift the stud walls from the floors. I don't fully understand why that happens but I have heard of it happening.

Perhaps from the studs shrinking after installation, particularly if
ordinary sawn timber rather than kiln dried?

Interesting to see in "Building Alaska" how allowance is made for
settlement / shrinkage of main wall logs by having "floating" window frames.

I should imagine such shrinkage is confined to summer when a fresh slap of mud and moss will compensate, or ant cracks in winter are self fullfilling filling when it snows.