Posted to alt.home.repair
Mayayana Mayayana is offline

Default Fire stopping for INTERIOR basement walls?

I've never heard of firestopping for cellar partitions,
but it makes sense as shown in the diagram. The idea
is just to block any route that fire could take to spread
quickly through the house. So that's how you can think
of it: If there's a space you can block it. But if you're
putting up a partition with drywall ceiling on each side,
there's no space for fire to go through. There's drywall
on each side and wood in the middle. The picture you
linked shows firestopping to prevent a cellar fire from
jumping into and across the floor above, from behind the
partition.

For your purposes you'd probably want plywood. If you
were going to use drywall it would need to be on the other
side of the partition wall, not under it. In other words, you
shouldn't use drywall as part of the structure.

| I know I need to install fire stopping (1/2" sheetrock) above the top
plate and along the perimeter of my basement as I install framing, per this
image (which shows 3/4" OSB instead of sheetrock):

http://contractorkurt.com/2012/12/31.../img_7800-001/

| But, do I need to install the same type of fire stopping (i.e. sheetrock
layer) above the top plate of partition walls that I'm building within (i.e.
interior walls) the basement??