Posted to alt.home.repair
mike[_22_] mike[_22_] is offline

Default need repair help...was Oxygen concentrator sound level

On 7/23/2016 4:52 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Sat, 23 Jul 2016 00:20:37 -0700, mike wrote:

At the risk of hijacking the thread, I need some help with an oxygen
concentrator.
I'm finding almost zero info on the machine.
I've asked around at medical stores. They all seem paranoid and
don't want to offer any advice at all. They claim they just send them
back to the vendor for service. That ain't gonna happen.

I bought it at a garage sale with the intention of using it
as an oxygen generator for a small oxy-propane torch. They claimed
it worked. Date codes suggest that it's little used.

Invacare XPO100
Software version 3
PM due 9/2018

You can get the owners manual here
http://www.invacare.com/cgi-bin/imhq...?prodID=XPO100

Yes, most medical places send them back for certified repair shops
since they are dealing with a medical device. Potential liability if
you FUp

It may require you to be breathing on a cannula even in continuous
mode, but I don't know for sure. I did not read the manual. Many
portable units give oxygen only when the patient is breathing in and
stop when they exhale.

If you had read the manual, you'd know that it's mostly safety fluff
and "press go" information. There's one page on diagnostics and
I published the results of that in my first post.
There is a continuous mode that should not require demand, but
the manual is vague on exactly what that means.
Was hoping to get more definitive info from our 16-year veteran fixing
them.

I have no idea how you intend to use this with a torch. Unlike a
tank, there is no real pressure or regulation.

Well, that is an unknown.
The experimental plan goes something like.
Concentric inverted tin cans with water fill.
Concentrator displaces the water to fill the apparatus.
Put a weight on top to get the desired pressure.
Light the torch. It's a tiny torch, so probably don't
need much oxygen at all. Just want it hotter.

I figgered $10 for an oxygen concentrator was a low risk
impulse purchase. They swore it worked...yeah right...
And, maybe I'll need one some day
and can have it refurbed.